Soprano Julia Sophie Wagner grew up in Munich but has been calling Leipzig her home for quite some time now. Born into a family where music aways played an important part, both professionally and in private. Raised in the musical tradition of Johann Sebastian Bach; the interpretation of his work is what she is especially known for. In 2021 Julia has been appointed to the board of directors of the prestigious Neue Bachgesellschaft e.V.
Musical categories is what Julia is trying to avoid at all times. She feels at home with baroque music as well as with the great works of the classic and romantic period. Her debut at the Kennedy Center Washington, where she performed her first Beethoven "Missa Solemnis" was voted "Kennedy Center event 2014" by Washington Life Magazine. At the same time she has great interest in contemporary music, especially in the challenge of bringing together complex musical content and direct emotional access. Chamber music with the great possibilities of direct communication within the ensemble as well as with the audience, and in this genre especially art song, has a special place in her repertoire. In the past years Julia has brought to life numerous programs and projects, oftentimes together with the renowned pianist Eric Schneider.
After some years away from the opera stage while her children were little, she will be heard there more often; a member of the Leipzig Opera ensemble for most of the 2019/20 season she has been returning as a guest, singing "Pamina" in Mozarts "Magic Flute" as well as "Friederike" in "Paradiese", a new opera by Gerd Kühr.
J.S. Bach "Johannespassion"
Gerhard Löffler, Leitung
ET LUX. (UA)
Ein Requiem von Johann Sebastian Bach
Konzept: Julia Sophie Wagner, Jakob Lehmann
Libretto: Thomas Kunst
Julia Sophie Wagner – Sopran
Elvira Bill – Alt
Daniel Johannsen – Tenor
Manuel Walser – Bass
Jakob Lehmann – Leitung
Abschlusskonzert der Thüringer Bachwochen
"Ave Maria" - 800 Jahre Marienkirche Mühlhausen
Julia Sophie Wagner, Soprano
Ursula Heins, Harfe
Andreas Hartmann, Violine
Holger Gehring, Orgel
Denny Wilke, Klavier
- Antonín Dvořák: Requiem Graduale (Excerpt) Bachchor Karlsruhe, Leitung: Christian-Markus Raiser Antonín Dvořák
- Joseph Haydn: Die Schöpfung Auf starkem Fittiche (Excerpt) Merseburger Hofmusik; Leitung: Michael Schönheit Joseph Haydn
- C.P.E. Bach: Magnificat Quia Respexit Humilitatem (Excerpt) Ensemble Tafelmusik Toronto; Leitung: Gotthold Schwarz C.P.E. Bach
- Giovanni Bononcini: Camilla Fate, the more (Excerpt) Elbipolis Barockorchester Giovanni Bononcini
- Giovanni Bononcini: Camilla Dangers everywhere (Excerpt) Elbipolis Barockorchester Giovanni Bononcini
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Missa Solemnis Benedictus Prague Philharmonia, Leitung: Roland Kluttig Ludwig van Beethoven
- Johann Sebastian Bach: h-Moll-Messe Domine Deus (Ausschnitt) Nicholas Phan, Tenor, Bachkollegium Stuttgart; Leitung: Helmuth Rilling Johann Sebastian Bach
- Georg Friedrich Händel: Saul Fell rage and black despair Bachkollegium München, Leitung: Hansjörg Albrecht Georg Friedrich Händel